Monday, June 1, 2015

Traveling with my breathing gear

When I was in high school, my English teacher invited us to write a letter to our older selves. We were encouraged to share our dreams. One of mine was to travel. I wanted to see the world.


Fortunately, I married the Norwegian Hunk who went to work for an airline and we made good use of those "golden handcuffs." That's what travel industry folk call flight benefits. Our kids had passports by the time they were 8 and 6 and we took trips we couldn't have afforded without those special benefits. I've seen a good bit of Europe and Japan, and closer to home, I've visited 49 out of the 50 states. (Look out, Louisiana, I'm coming for you!)

But that was before I had so much mechanical stuff to drag along to support my breathing. I need to pack Herkimer (my portable oxygen concentrator) along with his electrical cords, extra batteries, charger, spare filters, backpack to use instead of the wheeled cart for when I'm expecting uneven ground and extra cannulas, My POC has its own suitcase!

But I still love to travel and it worked out ok last January when the Norwegian Hunk and I decided to celebrate his retirement from Google with a two week Caribbean cruise. We drove from the Midwest down to Tampa to catch the boat, so I wasn't constrained by airline luggage rules.

However, another device has been added to my regimen--a bi-pap machine at night. Evidently I was holding my breath more than 100 times a night. Not good. So I have the company of Herkimer when I'm active by day and I'm attached to "Morpheus" on my bedside table by night.

I hated it at first. It was like drowning in air. But a body can get used to anything they say, and  I can honestly report now that I feel the benefits of the additional therapy. However, Morpheus has its own set of stuff--cords, tubes, distilled water--I need to waggle along when I travel.

Next week, we're planning a trip to Corpus Christi to visit one of my sisters and her family. Since it's a driving trip, I'm not worried about fitting everything in, but in July, we'll be flying to NYC for the RWA National Conference. I'm going to have to do some creative packing for that.

Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment