Monday, August 24, 2015

The Little House that Couldn't

I have a lot of fun at the expense of tiny house aficianados, but the truth is, I'm weirdly fascinated by them. The idea of simplifying how I live makes sense to me--especially for short amounts of time. Tiny houses work best as vacation homes, or better yet, as a vacation home on wheels.

So the DH and I started looking at motorhomes. Since he retired in January, we've done a good bit of traveling--a Caribbean cruise in January, Corpus Christi in June, Rapid City,SD and NYC in July. In September, we have a couple of family reunion weekends and a trip back up to the Mayo Clinic for me to check in with my pulmonologist. A nice Class A motorhome started making a lot of sense.

And after a brief search, we found one we really liked!


It's a 2007 Itasca Sunova 29 ft. with under 27000 miles on it. The unit was very clean with plenty of storage and with 2 slides, it was a tidy, livable space. There was a strategically placed outlet for my Bi-pap at night. The idea of having a generator we could use if our main house ever lost power for an extended time was enticing. We were excited and began to make buying noises.

Until we closed it up, started the generator and began running the AC for a test drive. As we lumbered down the road, I began to feel fuzzy-headed. It became difficult for me to finish my sentences. Unfortunately, I wasn't clear enough to even get out my oximeter to see where my O2 sats were, but I knew enough to know something was decidedly not right. Then after we left the dealership without sealing the deal, the fog that had descended on my brain began to fade.

When we got home, I googled "air quality in motorhomes" and discovered that I wasn't imagining it. Some of the materials used in RVs tend to "out-gas." They might not cause issues for most people but can be very debilitating for those with lung conditions. Formaldehyde is a common culprit. I also wondered if the generator was giving off more than power.  

So the dream of hitting the open road and camping in all the national parks is gone, but we still feel as if we dodged a bullet. Imagine how awful it would have been if we'd spent $40K and then discovered the unit made me loopy.

A mind really is a terrible thing to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment