Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Minor Catastrophe

Herkimer has died.

In case you missed my earlier posts, let me explain that Herkimer is my portable oxygen concentrator. I don't know what happened to him. He hasn't been dropped. He hasn't gotten wet. I'm religious about changing his filter and keeping his batteries charged. In short, I treat him like my third child.

But yesterday evening when I turned him on to head out to visit my parents, he huffed and he puffed but he put out no little bolas of O2 at all. His parting shot was a cryptic message on his little green screen.

O2 DELIVERY ERROR

Well,duh!

Fortunately, since I've been walking on the treadmill lately, I've seen an improvement in my lung function so that I can move around the house (with all the vivacity of a three-toed sloth, mind you!) without using supplemental O2. I have to be careful not to overdo or my O2 sats fall below 90, but at least I can function on a minimal level without a POC.

But only for a while. I've got a couple of reunions to attend over the next two weekends. I have to be mobile.

If I discontinue exercising, my lung function will probably deteriorate too. So, I called my O2 provider. They are over-nighting a replacement unit. This will be Herkimer the Third.

It makes me nervous not to have any back up except my own sub-par functioning lungs. I've resisted getting a second unit. They're so darned expensive, but I may have to reconsider. Without a POC, my world suddenly becomes very small.

So looks like I'll be biting that particular bullet. After all, what price can you put on mobility?

2 comments:

  1. Lexi, I would go for the back-up. I bet you'd feel a real sense of ease and freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I'll have to. I hated having to miss choir last night. I could have done the singing all right, but the walk from the parking lot, up several flights of stairs and into the loft would have been more than I can manage without extra O2. Now all I have to do is figure out where the $1400 for a second machine will come from...

      Delete