Saturday, May 20, 2017

Joyful noise

from Lexi Eddings...

When I visited my pulmonary therapist, she gave me lots of suggestions for increasing my lung function. Regular walking on a treadmill was highly recommended, as long as I monitor my O2 sats and heart rate. I have to hit the sweet spot of staying at 92% or above on O2 and not letting my heart rate go higher than 110 bpm. This keeps me chugging along at about 2 mph.

Another suggestion was that I learn to play the harmonica.

I stifled a laugh, but she was serious. Apparently, harmonica playing encourages deep inhalation and controlled exhalation.

I peck at the piano and can play about three chords on a ukelele, but I've never been an instrumentalist at heart. No disrespect to anyone who loves harmonica music. It's just not my cup of tea. The cluster of tones it emits grates on my single-note-craving ears.

I'm a singer--a classically trained soprano. So I asked my therapist about singing.

"Oh, yes," she gushed. "That's just as useful as playing the harmonica."

I've been singing all my life. When I sing, I feel more connected to myself. My body and my spirit align and I'm more thrillingly alive than just about any other time. While I love it, I've never considered it "useful."

So now I sing "usefully" in both my church and community choirs. It's wonderful that something I love to do actually helps improve not only my quality of life, but the quality of my lung function as well!

Do you have a hobby that promotes your well-being?

1 comment:

  1. buy isotretinoin 25 mg online the most common side effects include dry skin, rash, and increased liver enzymes. They are not usually serious and often disappear after getting used to the medicine but if they bother you or do not go away, tell your doctor. Take it with food, preferably at the same time each day to avoid a missed dose.

    ReplyDelete