Friday, September 30, 2016

An Inconvenient Headcold

For most folks, a cold is a nuisance. It means you need to carry a hanky or a packet of tissues. You might feel rundown and miss a day of work or two. Then the virus runs its course and you're back to your old self with the added benefit of being forever immune to that particular bug.

I used to say one of the benefits of hitting my 50's was that I'd already met so many cold viruses.

I don't say that any more.

Since I've been on prednisone for about 6 years, my immune system is suppressed. Even if I have made a virus's acquaintance, my antibodies don't exactly spring into action. They stroll toward the infection.

Right now I'm entering week 2 of the same cold my daughter and DH shook off in a couple of days. I'm doing everything I should--rest, fluids, fever abatement. My main concern is that I hope it stays in my head and doesn't migrate to my chest. With my lung condition, that could mean a trip to the hospital.

Fortunately, this is only the 2nd time I've had a cold this year. I'm pretty careful about hand sanitation, but there's not much defense against something that's airborne. When we visited Japan a few years ago, we discovered it was not unusual for the residents of Tokyo to wear masks in public. I wasn't ever sure if they were protecting themselves or if they had a cold and didn't want to spread it. Anyway, what's normal and accepted there would be viewed suspiciously here.

But don't worry. Even without resorting to a surgical mask each time I step outside, I'll kick this thing. It'll just take me longer than most.

And in the meantime, it's the perfect excuse to take a nap!

So how about it? Do you have any favorite home remedy that gives you cold relief? 



No comments:

Post a Comment