Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Hollow Space

Sometimes a chronic illness makes you feel "hollowed out." Sometimes it's another sort of major life change--a move, the loss of a job, a divorce or the death of someone you love. Whatever it is, it saps your energy. It takes away things you loved that used to fill up your life. It frustrates your plans. 


But this week, I received a blog post from my brother-in-law, who's a Lutheran pastor in northern Iowa, that made me rethink that hollow space this lung disease sometimes creates in my life. And ways for me to productively fill it!
Hollow a space, O God, within my busy schedule this week. You have given me enough time, Lord, now let me take the time to give priority to you. Let me be unhurried and my life uncluttered as I celebrate your wondrous birth. Free me from the tyranny of all the demands upon my life, and help me know your will for me. 
Hollow a space, O God, in my many relationships. You have given me the gift of my friends, now let me keep them. Help me not to smother them, nor use them. But instead, help my spirit stay fresh by drinking deeply from the reservoir of friendships found within each one.  
Hollow a space, O God, in the very center of my being. You have given me all of creation. Let me be renewed and recreated daily by your gracious gifts. Help me get rid of the sludge of selfishness and self-concern that occupies so much of my life. Touch me with your refreshing grace. Help me make room in my spirit for your Spirit. Abide with me, Emmanuel. 
Thank you God, for the gift of Jesus. Help me hallow a space in my life for him. Amen. 
Merry Christmas, and God’s richest blessings to each and everyone. May the birth of the Christ child fill your life with joy and peace all through the New Year. Amen.

Let me echo that. I wish you all the merriest of Christmases and hope that in the new year, you'll be blessed with fresh hope, fresh faith and fresh love!


No comments:

Post a Comment